By Aspen Dental
10 Common Things That Can Ruin Your Teeth, it Might Surprise You!
Everybody knows that eating too much candy and sugar is bad for your teeth, but there are actually many more things that can damage your teeth. And some of them you would never expect!
- 1. Snacking- Constant snacking can harm your teeth because your mouth doesn’t have enough time to clean itself. If you must snack, the best things to snack on are raw vegetables or nuts.
- 2. Using a hard-bristled toothbrush- Hard-bristled toothbrushes are too rough on gums, root surfaces, and enamel. It’s better to opt for a medium or soft-bristled brush.
- 3. Brushing immediately after eating- If you brush right after eating, you may be brushing the acid from the food right into your teeth. It’s best to wait 30-40 minutes after eating to brush your teeth.
- 4. Rinsing with water after brushing- Avoid rinsing your mouth with water after brushing. Doing this rinses away the decay-preventing fluoride in the toothpaste.
- 5. Biting non-food things- Tearing plastic, opening bottles, or biting your nails can damage your teeth and cause them to chip. They aren’t indestructible!
- 6. Chewing ice- Ice is too hard for your teeth to safely chew. It can cause chipping and tooth sensitivity.
- 7. Alcohol and caffeine- Alcoholic and caffeinated drinks, especially dark-colored ones, can erode and stain your teeth. Try drinking them through a straw so the drink touches your teeth as little as possible.
- 8. Acidic and sticky foods- Candy, juice, and even some acidic fruits can cause tooth decay.
- 9. Drug abuse- Using drugs like cocaine, heroin, ecstasy, methamphetamine, and marijuana can cause stained teeth, tooth decay, and tooth loss.
- 10. Teeth grinding- Grinding your teeth can cause enamel erosion, and cracked or chipped teeth.