By Aspen Dental
Vitamin Supplements That Help Your Teeth
In addition to a healthy diet, supplements are a great way to get more of the vitamins you need each day. Most people use vitamin supplements to improve their overall health, but did you know there are vitamins that can also benefit your teeth and gums? We have put together a list, just for you, of the best vitamins for your dental health and in what foods you can find them.
- Calcium makes up most of our tooth enamel, so taking a calcium supplement or eating things with a lot of calcium (like broccoli, dairy products, oysters, almonds, and legumes) will keep your enamel strong.
- Phosphorusis necessary for our bodies to absorb calcium so our enamel can stay strong. Make it a part of your diet by consuming dairy products, red meat, whole grains, nuts, and lentils, or by taking a supplement.
- Fluorideprotects your teeth against decay and cavities and protects enamel. It’s found in community water supplies as well as most toothpastes, black tea, and seafood.
- Vitamin Cis most important for keeping gums healthy and preventing periodontitis. Get your daily intake of vitamin C from a supplement, or from kale, berries, broccoli, citrus fruit, sweet potato, and peppers.
- Vitamin Dis good for more than just your skin. It can also protect your teeth against cavities. You can get the vitamin D your body needs by sitting in the sun for 15 minutes each day, or from eggs, milk, or fish.
These vitamins, combined with a daily oral hygiene routine, are sure to keep your smile healthy and bright. To learn more about vitamins that can boost your dental health, call us at Aspen Dental.